We have the responsibility to be a good global citizen, to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us and to leverage our success in order to strengthen the communities where we live and work.
Assurant is committed to strengthening the communities where we operate for the businesses, families, and individuals within them. We encourage our employees to support and volunteer with charitable causes through our Engagement Champion Teams and individually. To ensure coordination across our lines of business and geography, and to maximize Assurant’s impact in our communities, employees should consult with the Assurant Cares Team regarding all charitable contributions, matching gifts, and team-based volunteering events.
> Our Responsibilities
- Prior to agreeing to serve on the board of directors of any company or organization (other than an Assurant-owned company), we discuss it with our manager, and seek approval from the Ethics Office to understand expectations that may come with serving in such capacity and to determine if that service will create any actual or perceived conflict of interest or interfere with our job duties.
- We excuse ourselves from participating in any discussions or decisions that could conflict with Assurant’s interests.
- When engaged in non-Assurant-supported fundraising activities, we don’t solicit anyone else for whom we have a responsibility to hire, engage or supervise.
- We don’t pressure other employees to contribute to or otherwise support specific charitable organizations.
- We direct solicitations for charitable contributions from customers or third parties to the Assurant Cares program before any commitments are made. We obtain prior written approval from the Assurant Cares team, Security and/or Facilities before use of Assurant’s property, facilities or other assets (including logo) for nonprofit or pro bono events.
We are committed to respecting the human rights and dignity of everyone. We comply with, and value our business partners who share a similar commitment to:
- Laws and international standards including the International Labour Organization (ILO) that promote safe working conditions and individual security.
- Laws prohibiting forced labor.
- Prohibitions on the employment of underage children.
- Prohibitions on human trafficking. Human Trafficking includes, without limitation, recruiting, harboring, transporting, providing, or obtaining a person for labor or services through the use of force, coercion, fraud or deception, the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability, or the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation includes, without limitation, involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage or slavery, the removal of organs, and sex trafficking, or other forms of exploitation.
- Adhere to laws and relevant standards and frameworks that ensure freedom of association and the right to engage in collective bargaining.
- Monitor and remedy potential human rights impacts.
- Communicate our human rights commitments to internal and external stakeholders.
Immediately report any suspicion or evidence of human rights abuses, in our Company or our business partners to your manager, your Compliance Officer or the Ethics Office.
We are committed to operating with a meaningful environmental commitment that minimizes our carbon footprint and enhances sustainability.
We see the business value of taking a leadership position in addressing our own environmental footprint, encouraging employees to be environmentally conscious, finding innovative solutions to strengthen communities and helping customers become more resilient. We focus on managing multiple environmental risks and integrating sustainable business practices across our supply chain, in our investment practices and throughout our operations worldwide. We all do better when we make decisions that care for and improve the environment. For more information regarding Assurant’s environmental commitment, see the Social Responsibility Report.
We actively engage to strengthen the communities where we live and work worldwide while operating our business and managing our investments with a meaningful environmental commitment.
When in Doubt - Speak Up
If you have questions or concerns, let your manager, the People Organization or the Ethics Office know.